Interests, Strengths, and Abilities?
Money 101, Employment Resources for Youth in Northwest Minnesota, Education, Independent Living Skills/Adulting Resources
Interests, Strengths, and Abilities
When you need help, it can be hard for you to think about your strengths objectively because you’re feeling low or focusing on what you’re shortcomings are.
Here’s examples of strengths and abilities:
- Are you good at anything in particular?
- Are you creative or artistic? Do you enjoy making things beautiful?
- Do you think you might want to do interior or graphic design, photography, cosmetology, be a painter, carpenter, welder?
- Do you have a good ear for beats and can you create and remember song lyrics?
- Do you think you might want learn sound and audio or how to set up and promote concerts/events? Do marketing? A good place to start might be work at an events center, hotel, or casino.
- Are you a good listener? Do your friends come to you for advice?
- Maybe you’d like to think about being a care navigator or office manager?
- Are you dependable? Do you do things you say you’re going to do when you said you were going to do it?
- Do you like helping people?
- Have you considered customer service to start and eventually moving into social work or sales?
- Do you think you might be interested in child care, health care, or helping disabled people? A lot of places will pay you while you get you CAN and then if you want you can keep working up in nursing, or try something new without having to worry about student debt. Maybe try CPR and First Aid first and see if you want to go on from there?
- Are there jobs that you know you don’t want to do or have tried and wouldn’t do again unless you absolutely had to?
- Are there jobs that you’ve seen people do and you’re curious about what they do or how they got them?
- If you don’t think that there is anything you really want to do as a job, do you have a hobby that you want to have time or money for someday?
- Do you know that a union custodian gets paid as much as a teacher?
- Do you have anything on your record that will prohibit you from getting hired for certain jobs?
Want to talk about these more? Connect with the MyPath team if you have questions!